It’s the weekend, which means drinks and good friends! we have arranged to meet our friends later this evening at our local pub The Poacher. The Poacher is an important landmark for the both of us since it’s where we first met some 24 years ago! We’ve been going ever since and it hasn’t changed a bit. It’s one of those nice small, local and cosy places you can really relax in, whether having a British pint or playing a friendly game of darts you always feel welcome.
We decided to make ourselves a great Canadian classic cocktail “The Caesar” with a vegan twist. This great classic drink is normally made with Vodka, Clamato juice, Hot Sauce and Worcestershire sauce. This classic drink isn’t vegan due to the clamto juice which is a mixture of tomato juice and clam juice hence the name clamato. Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies (little fishes) For our vegan virgin caesar cocktail a key ingredient was the dried wakame seaweed in place of the clam juice.
Classic Caesars Cocktails for two turned into great tasting vegan drinks. Happy Weekend everyone.
- ¼ cup dried wakame seaweed (small handful) + 1¼ cup warm water
- 4 cups low sodium tomato
- 2 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (I used Wan Ja Shan sauce)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce of choice or to taste (Tabasco is the classic)
- 1 teaspoon Caesar rim seasoning+ more to rim the glass
- Black pepper to taste (I added 3 cracks of my pepper grinder)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges or wheels (to rim the glass)
- Celery to garnish
- Vodka optional
- In a small bowl, add the water and the wakame together to revive the seaweed. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl or pitcher mix the rest of the ingredients together
- In a separate bowl, collect the seaweed water through a fine mesh strainer, strain the seaweed from the seawater, gently pushing the seaweed with a spoon to exact all the water. Slowly add the seawater to the bowl or pitcher with the tomato juice.
- Rim the glasses with lime then rotate on a plate of Cesar rim seasoning
- Refrigerate until ready to use.