I know spring is here but I’m still stuck in soup mode, there’s something about coming home to a piping hot bowl of yummy soup. Another month and I’ll be stuck in salad mode lol. We do enjoy salads when the weather ids hotter, and we enjoy eating outside in the backyard. We are getting our whole back yard dug up and re-done with new soil in an effort to rid it of those pesky weeds. Here in Canada it’s illegal to use pesticides on personal gardens which is a really great thing, but makes it so much harder to weed!
Maybe this law should be enforced amongst all farmers growing vegetables and fruits. I know its hard to control the bugs that eat the crops but I think the pesticides do way more damage not only to our bodies but also mother earth. We have to learn how to respect this beautiful planet we live on. Tonight’s soup is a Vegan Sweet Potato and Squash Soup ooh so yummy. I love how this is a simple recipe but also very nutritious, meals do not have to be complicated to be good!
I used butternut squash which blends really well with the sweet potato. I used a yellow carrot since that’s all I had in my kitchen, but normal orange ones will work as well.
I topped my soup with raw pumpkin seeds and parsley, you can top with croutons or crackers. The soup goes well with some flat bread for dipping.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow carrot chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add nutmeg, ginger and curry powder.
- Sauté till fragrant.
- Add the vegetables and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Blend to a creamy smooth texture with immersion blender. If you haven't one use a regular blender and blend in batches.
- Top with raw pumpkin seeds.