Well yet another cold winter day which makes it a soup day! Went to the gym this morning and realized I didn’t have my running shoes with me oh shoot! Did a 40 minute power walk to make up for no gym. Decided to make a nice vegetable soup to take my mind of it. Then went back to the gym in the evening with Philip.
This Vegan Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup is packed with some of my favorite vegetables, potatoes, celery, carrots, peas, green beans onions and yellow peppers to name a few.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper with seeds minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of Italian spice
- 6 cups of vegetable broth I used 3 cups of low sodium and 3 cups of no salt added.
- 3 cups of passata ( strained tomatoes )
- 1 can (540ml) diced tomatoes
- 4 small red potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 4 small carrots sliced and diced
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 cup of green beans
- 1 tin peas drained
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- Heat oil in large pot. Sauté onions bonnet pepper and garlic until soft.
- Pour vegetable stock into pot with tomatoes and passata.
- Add Italian spice and all the vegetables.
- Cook until vegetables are soft. The longer you leave the soup to cook the more flavorful it becomes. Simmer for 2 hours. It has a little kick to it from the scotch bonnet pepper and seeds if you don't like spice omit the seeds or pepper and seeds
This Vegan Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup is delicious and very easy to make, it just takes some prep time chopping and a fair amout of time to simmer. Then you’ll be rewarded with a great tasting bowl of hearty soup. This soup is also very freezer friendly which means hubby will have it for lunch at work!