Why go out for breakfast when you can make a delicious one at home. This morning my husband really wanted to have home fries. My husband and son were away in Malibu California last week, when they went out for breakfast to the Paradise Cove Beach Café, located on the Pacific West Coast Highway in between Ventura and Santa Monica.
This Café is located in one of the most beautiful parts of California. It is nestled in a private cove with beautiful palm trees and sand. You can enjoy breakfast with your feet in the sand while watching the waves crash in the pacific ocean. My husband told me he had some excellent home fries there with onions peppers and jalapenos mixed in with them. He asked if I could make my home fries that way, so this Sunday morning I decided to make these delicious skillet home fries. These crusty, browned potatoes with peppers make a good hearty breakfast on their own or you could pair them with a chickpea omelette
- 16 red new potatoes washed
- 1 small yellow onion sliced into small strips
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green pepper sliced into small strips
- 1 red pepper sliced into small strips
- 2 large jalapenos sliced into circles
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (adjust for spiciness)
- avocado (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place new potatoes in boiling water. Boil for about 6-8 minutes. You want the potatoes firm and el dente not cooked all the way through.
- Drain potatoes in a colander shake to remove excess water.
- Slice the potatoes into small cubes.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the potatoes. Sprinkle with the paprika and cayenne pepper. Leave the potatoes to brown at least 5 minutes before turning. Then flip to brown other side for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion garlic peppers and jalapenos. Mix in with the potatoes. Leave to sauté for 5 minutes. Then flip the potato mixture again.
- Sauté for another 5 minutes, until onions are fragrant and peppers are cooked.
- Serve with chopped avocado and cilantro.