One weekend we were away camping in Southampton Ontario and we went into a small restaurant for dinner. On the menu was a vegetarian Ratatouille pie. My husband decided he would try that being vegetarian not vegan. He said it was delicious, so I said I would make a vegan version of the recipe.
I love sweet potato but Philip is not so I decided to make individual dishes to suit everyone’s needs. He had his with regular potatoes and the rest were made with the sweet potatoes. The recipe can be made as one large dish or individual bowls.
Vegan Ratatouille Shepherds Pie
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 large or 2 small eggplant, cut into ½-inch diced
- 2 zucchinis diced
- 2 orange sweet peppers diced
- 1lb Campari tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried chili peppers
- 2 tbsp basil chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 large sweet potatoes or regular potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp vegan sour cream (tofutti)
- Toss the eggplant cubes with the teaspoon of salt. Put the cubes in a colander to drain for 40 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bottom non-stick skillet.
- Pat the eggplant dry, add it to the skillet, and sauté over a medium heat for about 6 minutes, or until the eggplant is browned and softened.
- Remove the eggplant from the skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet add another tablespoon of olive oil and add the zucchini.
- Sauté the zucchini until golden brown and soft for about 6 minutes. Remove the zucchini from skillet and put it with the eggplant.
- If there is still olive oil in skillet no need to add the other tablespoon but if skillet is dry add the remaining olive oil. Place the onion and peppers into the skillet, sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent and fragrant and the peppers are soft.
- Add the garlic, chili peppers, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, the 2 tbsp basil, tomatoes and tomato paste Cook the tomatoes down to release the juices.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove ratatouille mixture to the individual casserole dishes.
- In a large pot add the sweet potatoes and enough water to boil the sweet potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes for about 15mins until tender.
- Drain off water into a colander and return sweet potatoes to the pot. Mash potatoes with the vegan sour cream.
- Spoon the potatoes over the individual ratatouille dishes.
- Place the dishes in the oven for 15 minutes until potatoes crisp a little on top.
- Serve with your favorite side salad.