Another gorgeous day again, the sun was out and I think the thermometer went up to 15C. This always makes it more fun at work since we can play outside with the kids. The kids are way happier outside than cooped up in the school. After work I meet Philip at the gym so that we could go on another lake front jog, we also rode our bikes to get a full work out in.
As I’ve said before curry is a favorite in our house, whether its Thai, India, spicy or sweet we do love our curries. Tonight’s curry was a very simple dish of potatoes and cauliflower mixed with fragrant spices and tomatoes. I also made my own flat breads for the first time, I could have simply got store bought ones but I wanted a complete dinner made by me and of course completely vegan! I’m trying to convert my other son to be a fill time vegan.
These potatoes are called “little gems” they are a combination of red, yellow and blue mini potatoes. Their fresh taste and colorful appearance make them a welcome addition to any meal, especially curries!
You can serve this curry with flat breads and yoghurt but Philip also likes it with a bit of rice. You could also serve it with some quinoa if you like.
Cauliflower and potato curry is called Aloo Gobi Masala which is a traditional Indian curry. Sometimes peas are added to this curry but we opted for spring onions.
These little flat breads are very simple to make, I placed everything into a food processor with a dough blade and it did everything for me. If you don’t have a food processor you would have to mix the ingredients by hand and then kneed it for a few minutes by hand. Then you can simply pan sear them for a few minutes.
- Flat bread
- 2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup water
- ¼ almond milk
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6cm slice ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon vindaloo curry paste
- 575ml diced tomatoes tinned
- 2 cups water
- ½ large cauliflower chopped into florets
- 430grams Little gem potatoes (new potatoes)
- 3 green onions green parts only for garnish
- Place all ingredients in a food processor with a dough setting.
- Process until a ball of dough forms.
- Divide dough into 8 small bowls. Roll out on a floured surface into small circles.
- Heat a cast iron skillet no oil in it. When hot place flat dough in the pan. Leave to brown you will notice it will bubble then flip to toast other side. Repeat for the dough circles.
- Flat breads can be made ahead and warmed in oven.
- You can also make them in the last 20 minutes of curry cooking.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions garlic with the ginger until soft about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cumin, coriander, garam masala, cayenne pepper turmeric and the curry paste.
- Add the potatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then add the cauliflower and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serve with yogurt or rice.