Mondays are always a struggle to wake up at 5:30am after having a relaxing weekend. What started of as a nice sunny day quickly turned into an overcast, grey and rainy day. There were heavy winds and some good ol down pour style rain. Not good when you are riding a bike without a coat lol. I was happy though that I was coming home tom a nice big bowl of hearty Vegan Minestrone Soup.
You can eat soup at any time of the year, but there’s nothing like a big bowl of nourishing soup on a cold rainy blustery windy night like to night is. This soup is flavorful and delicious. I love all kinds of vegetables and soup is a great way to eat them. We need fibre in our diet so why not add beans to your soups.
This vegetable minestrone soup is so simple to make, everything goes in a big pot and cooks together which brings out all the flavors of the different vegetables. They all blend so well together, you’ll want a second bowl I know it!
Minestrone soup is a good choice if you want a filling, flavorful soup that is a complete meal filled with potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, pasta and baby spinach. My husband likes his soup with a bit of zest so I added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for him. He’s taking a bowl to work tomorrow for a healthy lunch.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 3 stalk celery chopped
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups of cooked navy beans
- 1 cup baby shell pasta
- 2 tablespoon Italian herb mixture
- 758ml tin diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups Passata
- 5 cups vegetable broth no salt added.
- 2 cups water
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Sauté onions and garlic till soft.
- Add the Italian spice and sauté with the onions.
- Add the potatoes carrots and celery. Coat in the Italian herbs. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes,passata, vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 35 minutes.
- Then add the zucchini, pasta and beans.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Add baby spinach to wilt.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Serve hot and with your favorite crusty bread.