Happy weekend everyone! So far it’s been an amazing one here as far as weather is concerned. Hot, Sunny and little humidity, just perfect! We’ve been busy doing bits and bats but nothing too exciting. We are gearing up for our final summer camping trip next weekend. We’ll be going up in our F150 truck so it’s kind of like the “maiden voyage” It should be fun and we’ll have lots more room and the drive will be oh so comfy.
We’ve decided next spring we’ll be selling our little pop up trailer and looking around for a good deal on a used travel trailer. Were looking for a good deal, one that we can “fix” up and make it our own. We’ll plan on keeping that one until we down size when we retire. Hopefully by then we’ll buy brand new since we plan on traveling way more. Back to today’s recipe, it’s a quick and simple yet delicious vegan gourmet grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.
Made with fresh red peppers, red onions, spinach, mushrooms, vegan whole wheat bread and some vegan provolone cheese slices.
Grilled cheese is at the top of the list for comfort foods. Its ooey, gooey and tastes fantastic. Just because you are vegan doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy this comfort food. Adding some nutritious vegetables to this classic can turn this comfort food into a gourmet sandwich that has your heart melting. I used Daiya Provolone cheese slices which melts perfectly for grilled cheese.
- 4 slices harvest grain bread (or bread of your choice)
- 2 slices Daiya provolone style
- ¼ cup spinach leaves
- ½ red bell pepper sliced thinly
- ¼ red onion sliced thinly
- 1 garlic glove chopped finely
- 3 mushrooms sliced
- Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- Earth balance soy free spread
- Heat up olive oil in skillet. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add red peppers, sauté for 1 minute then add mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce
- Sauté until vegetables are soft and browned. Add spinach until wilted. Turn off pan.
- Butter the four slices of bread on one side only with the earth balance spread. On the other side of bread slice, spread some Dijon mustard.
- Slice the provolone cheese slice in half to make 4 slices. Place the 4 slices of cheese on the 4 slices of bread on the mustard side.
- Pile the vegetable mixture onto 2 of the bread slices and place a bread slice on top, so that you are finished with two sandwiches with the vegetables are sandwiched between 2 slices of cheese and the buttered side is on the outside of the bread.
- Place in skillet, cook for about 3 minutes until golden brown, then carefully flip over. Cook until brown and cheese is melted.