What a day I’ve had, suffering from allergies big time. Watery eyes, sniffling nose, itchy throat and ears, you get the idea lol. It’s that time of season I guess, I think fall is around the corner! Anyone have any ideas or remedies other than popping those expensive pills that really don’t seem to work. Anyway back to my awesome lunch.
I have always loved cream of mushroom soup, but since being vegan I haven’t had it and its been too long. I wanted to make one but without using cashew nuts. Cashew nuts are often used in soups to give them that creamy texture. Another choice without the fat of nuts are chickpeas and that’s what I used in this mushroom soup to give it that thick creamy texture. I really enjoyed it for my lunch.
- 1 lb mushrooms chopped and sliced (Portobello, Shitake and White)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups chickpeas cooked
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon rosemary dried
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- ½ teaspoon thyme dried
- In a large deep skillet heat up the olive oil. If you don’t have a deep skillet you can use a pan.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms until brown and soft. I removed about 3 tablespoon of the mushroom and onion mixture to top my soup with.
- Add the vegetable broth and the dried herbs. Bring to a boil then turn heat down low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- In a Vitamix or blender add the almond milk, chickpeas and 1 cup of mushroom mixture. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour back into skillet or pan. Mix together for a creamy soup. If you want a smoother soup blend the soup mixture.
- Then return to the pan again.
- I like my soup with chunks of mushrooms so I blended just a small batch of the soup.