Hello Thursday! It’s my day off during the March break. Finally I get to spend the day home with my younger son Jordan. What better way to spend a few hours than baking cookies! Although Jordan does not like or eat cookies he does enjoy the making and baking process. Looks like my husband Philip will be eating most of these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies since our other son Ethan does not like cookies also and I’m watching my waist line har har.
For these delicious cookies I used a semi sweet vegan chocolate chips which I purchased from my local Bulk Barn. Do you guys have Bulk Barn outlets near you? They sell all kinds of food in bulk and easy to measure quantities. They have all kinds of ingredients which are great for my vegan recipes. These cookies have a crunchy texture unlike the soft chewy ones. My hubby just loves them for that late evening snack.
I used a spelt flour for these cookies, but you could use an all purpose flour instead. Spelt flour also known as hulled wheat has been around since the bronze age in parts of Europe. It’s found a new market within the health food industry. Although it does contain a moderate amount of Gluten so m ay not be suitable for some people. It has a unique nutty flavor which made it a perfect choice for these cookies. Because of it’s high water solubility it’s nutrients are quickly absorbed into the body. This makes Spelt easier to digest then other forms of wheat. It’s also high in fiber and a good source of iron.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to make the perfect cookie batter ready for the oven.
The finished cookies taste and smell delicious! Makes the whole house smell like chocolate chip cookies and that’s not a bad thing!
Chocolate chip cookies are always complimented perfectly with a nice glass of cold almond milk.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup vegan choc. Chips
- ¾ cup raw sugar
- ½ cup of vegan margarine melted (I used a stick of earth balance buttery sticks)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, and cinnamon.
- Make a “well” in the center of the dry ingredients and put aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix sugar, vegan margarine extract, and almond milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into center of well in dry ingredients; mix well, but do not overwork dough.
- Scoop one tablespoon of dough onto parchment paper covered baking tray. Press cookie dough down a little.
- Bake for 15 minutes until firm to touch.
- Leave to cool on a wire track.
- Place in air tight container or cookie jar