Hey all Philip here, well that was a brutal drive home from Toronto. The Gardiner Express way is closed all weekend all the way up to the 427 highway. It took us 2 hours just to get out of the city. I went in last night to see Daniel Lanois preform at the Horseshoe tavern. He put on a great show playing his favorite from the past plus some new electronic stuff. It’s a pretty dim lit bar so photographs are a tad hard.
My buddy and older brother tagged along for the show. Terra Lightfoot, a Hamilton singer songwriter opened up for Daniel and put on a great show.
While I was out having a “boys night” out Tricia was home relaxing in front of a good movie. So she made something that she knew I wouldn’t eat, vegan “cheesy” cauliflower bake. She says it was yummy so I’ll have to give it a wee taste. Cauliflower isnt one of my favorites although I don’t mind it in Curries.
I think cauliflower is a tremendously underrated vegetable. It comes in four colors, the most common being white. There’s also orange, green and purple. Cauliflower can be roasted, fried, steamed, baked and of course eaten raw. It can be used for creaming soups, substituted for potatoes and rice and it can even be used to make pizza crust!
- Head of cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cheese sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup no salt vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric,
- 1 tablespoon of chickpea miso not soy
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- Instructions for cauliflower
- Fill a medium pot with 1½ inches of water; insert a steamer basket and add the cauliflower. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and steam until the vegetables are just tender, approximately 5 minutes. Do not over cook it will become mushy. Drain cauliflower.
- Transfer to baking dish
- Instructions for cheese sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent and soft about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the nutritional yeast, cayenne, salt, ground pepper and turmeric and mix well together. Add the vegetable broth and mix again.
- In a small bowl or container mix the 2 tablespoon of olive oil with the spelt flour so there are no lumps. Add this to the cheese sauce. Mixing until sauce thickens about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the miso.
- For a smooth sauce blend in a small blender for about 30 seconds.
- I only blended half of my sauce. I like some texture in it.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. bake in oven at 375f for 30-40 minutes bubbles and breadcrumbs brown.