I like spending lots of time in the kitchen cooking entrees, salads and soups. I’m not really a baker though, but on the occasion I will give it a try. I wanted something yummy, but also healthier than commercially bought baked goods. I had all the ingredients staring me in the face to make a nice Vegan Banana and Chocolate Chip Bread. We don’t eat a lot o treats in our house, well actually my two boys don’t eat anything sweets at all. Ever since they were born they have not liked sweets or cakes or candies. When we took the boys out to family events and were offered sweets or desserts the boys would refuse them with disgusted looks on their faces. Everyone thought it was our doing but they simply didn’t want them. Me and my hubby make up for them though!
So dessert this night was a really nice vegan banana and chocolate chip bread (or loaf if you like) The only issue I had was that I really should have made two! My husband didn’t even realize it was vegan until most of it was gone. He likes to put his desserts in the fridge though while I like mine all soft and gooey. This is a perfect recipe to use up all those ripe bananas that no one wants to eat! I used spelt flour for this bread along with lots of vegan chocolate chips. The spelt flour adds a unique nutty flavor to the chocolate chip bread.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- ⅓ cup sucanat plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 9×5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Place spelt flour in a medium bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, place mashed bananas, ⅓ cup sucanat,
- vanilla extract, and oil. Using electric mixer beat for 1-2 minutes until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix by hand until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle 2 tablespoons oatmeal and 1 tablespoon sucanat on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in loaf pan 10-15 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling. Cut into slices.