This recipe makes a great burrito filling or side dish and doesn’t take much longer than heating up a can of beans. This rice is spicy and flavorful.
Spanish Rice with Black Bean Burrito
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ yellow pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- ½ orange pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper stemmed, seeded and finely diced (add more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned fire-roasted, liquid reserved)
- 1½ cup black beans (or 1 15-ounce can), rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Ingredients for burrito
- 8 tortilla wraps
- tomatoes chopped
- Green onions chopped
- Heat a deep, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown. Add the peppers scotch bonnet pepper and garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes. If it becomes too dry, add a little vegetable broth or reserved tomato juice. Check the flavor, and add salt and additional seasonings to taste.
- Layer lettuce tomatoes and onions on tortilla and spoon hot Spanish rice and black bean mixture onto tortilla too. Fold sides of tortilla in and roll up into burrito. Place in burritos in a hot skillet to brown and crisp somewhat to liking.