Home from our short but sweet weekend camping trip, we left the site pretty early due to some cold, rainy weather. Saturday wasn’t rainy but it was rather cold out. We spent the day exploring the Georgian Bay area and doing some shopping. Georgian Bay area is scattered with lots of farm land, dairy, poultry and unfortunately beef. We came across this bunch of cows on one of our drives through the country roads. The cows were all lying down but when I stopped to take a photo they all got up and were very inquisitive. They came straight over to us for their photo!
Sad thing is that I’m not sure if these cows are to be slaughtered for beef or used for dairy. They were very friendly and curious of my camera pointing at them. I guess the tags on their ears are to identify them for when it comes to sell them. After spending some time with our new friends we took a drive to Stokes Bay which is on the opposite side of the peninsular and on the shores of Lake Huron. Although it was cold and gloomy we took several photographs.
We sat by the shore taking in the beautiful view, it’s so nice just to relax and take it easy even if only for a couple days. Escaping the hustle bustle of city life. After our 3 1/2 hour drive home in the pouring rain only to arrive in the rain and rather chilly temps we decided it would be good to have a warm vegetable stew. And we thought we’d be eating lots of salads ha!
This stew is made up of lots of root vegetables like, potatoes, rutabaga, carrots and squash. Very easy to make, just throw everything in a big pan or crock pot and slow cook for approximately 7 hours on low. You could speed things up and cook for 4 hours on high.
- 10 baby red potatoes halved
- 2 onions diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 rutabaga peeled and diced
- 3 carrots scrubbed and chopped
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 400 grams Butternut squash
- 1 can 28 fl oz diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- A pinch of pepper
- 3 tablespoon flour (optional)
- 3 tablespoon water (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic cook over medium heat until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and a pinch of pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker, add the potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, squash, celery, tomatoes and broth. and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4½ hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Optional, When cooked mix the 3 tablespoon of flour with 3 tablespoon of water and add to the stew to thicken.