Hi guys, happy Tuesday! Philip here, Tuesdays are always a tad different since Tricia works late for the YMCA here in Burlington. It’s been a busy day for me too at the office getting ready for my work trip to Ottawa Thursday. The family is tagging along and we are turning it into a mini vacation. The weather looks to be glorious with highs near 30! haven’t seen those temperatures in May for years and years. You’ll never hear the both of us complain about the heat, the cold yeah but never the heat.
We rarely put our air conditioner on because we know all too well that the cold weather is always around the corner lol. Hopefully we will be able to do some different blogs while in Ottawa. We are going to find a vegan restaurant or at least one that offers vegan choices. Today’s recipe is a great mandarin salad with creamy almond dressing, so simple to make and so yummy to eat. I think mandarins go so great in a salad but not many people put them in. Mixed with raw peanuts, red onions, peppers, carrots and greens this salad was a complete meal for the both of us.
Lovely mandarins added awesome color to this salad as well as great flavors against the greens. The raw peanuts gave the salad that great crunch. I chose to have regular vinaigrette dressing but Trish had some home made creamy almond dressing.
- Mandarin Salad with Creamy Almond Dressing
- 5 cups Mixed greens
- ½ Red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and julienne sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 3 Mandarins
- ¼ cup raw peanuts
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 medjool date, pitted
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Peel the Mandarins. Remove the pith and skin from the mandarins this is a little time consuming but well worth it. It takes a way the bitterness the pith can be. You could use tinned but fresh fruit is always best.
- Lay mixed greens in bowl or on salad platter. Layer the onions, red peppers Mandarins and peanuts.
- For the dressing place all ingredients in a blender. Blend together until smooth.