Another soup, I can eat soup anytime, even though it was 26F outside hopefully summer is on its way. I use lentils a lot in my cooking whether it’s soup, curries or even shepherds pie. Lentil soup is simple, and easy to throw together. It’s my go-to meal when I want something hearty but healthy. . One cup of cooked lentils only contains about 230 calories, but still leaves you feeling full and satisfied. Red lentils are perfect for when you’re in a hurry because they cook quicker than other legumes.
You can eat this soup without the lemon tahini cream but I love the lemon zing and creaminess it gives the soup it changes the whole flavor of the recipe. Sprinkle with a little fresh coriander and you have a complete meal.
Lentil and Sweet Pepper Soup with Lemon Tahini Cream
Recipe type: Entree
- Lentil and sweet pepper soup with lemon tahini cream.
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red or orange sweet pepper diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water**
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- Lemon Tahini Cream.
- ¾ cup tahini paste
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Vegetable Stock
- ½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- First we need to prepare the 2 cups of diced tomatoes. Place in blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot or a deep non stick wok heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic, sauté till soft and translucent.
- Add the red or orange sweet pepper. Sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Add the cumin, coriander paprika and the cayenne pepper. Coat the onions and pepper mixture.
- Add the vegetable broth, water and blended tomatoes to the mixture.
- Add the lentils and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 25-30 minutes until lentils are soft.
- ** if soup becomes a little thick just add a little water as the lentils cook.
- While soup is cooking prepare the tahini cream.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Top soup with cream and fresh coriander.