Homemade Pasta Sauce
Recipe type: Pasta
Serves: 6-8 Servings
- 5 pounds of fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded (to peel, cut a small "x" on the top and drop in to boiling water for 10 seconds and drop in to an ice bath. Skin will easily peel off) ¼ cup olive oil (or tallow)
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 8 cloves of fresh garlic (or more to taste), finely minced 2minced chilli peppers ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme leaves (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1 sprig of fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 bay leaves (remove when done)
- 2 sprigs of parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 carrot (1/2 should be grated and added to sauce, the other half should be added at the end of cooking and then removed)
- Pour the olive oil into a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions, garlic and grated carrots and the chilli peppers
- Saute for 6-8 minutes or until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, oregano, thyme bay leaves, parsley and sea salt.
- Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours or until cooked down and starting to darken.
- Add carrot piece for the last 30 minutes to absorb acidity.
- Remove sprigs of herbs and piece of carrot.
- Optional: Use an immersion blender to puree sauce until smooth (for a thicker sauce, skip this step.
- Use fresh or store in the fridge up to 1 week, or can it according to your canner's instructions for tomato products.