Oh dear, I wiped out on my bike today. Riding to work, scraped arm, knee and a hurt back..Not fun! Oh well just one of the trials and tribulations of staying fit and healthy! Hope this fall doesn’t affect my jog tomorrow. Philip has been doing his daily beach run which is about 4 miles. Philip has to go to Ottawa again next week for work so I decided to tag along with him, and the kids of course. He can do his work Thursday and Friday and we can spend the Saturday exploring the Ottawa area.
We’ll try and find a vegan restaurant in Ottawa, or one that has vegan options. Anybody recommend any? In keeping with the spring/summer hints we are getting with the weather I thought it would be nice to make a grilled watermelon salad. Who doesn’t love watermelons! both juicy and sweet. Well this salad has lots of different flavors, sweet with the watermelon, salty from the olives and just a little kick from the jalapenos. These flavors do a little dance in your mouth, oh so good.
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 2 thick circles watermelon cut into quarters leave rind on
- 2 cups variety of tomatoes
- ½ cucumber chopped and quartered
- ½ red onion sliced
- 3 slices vegan havarti cheese with jalapeño cubed
- 10 green olives
- Handful of watercress
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer the vinegar. Cook until reduced to a syrup consistency. Set aside.
- Heat up the BBQ or a hot skillet or the broiler. Grill the watermelon for about 2 mins until grill marks appear on watermelon. Remove the rind and slice into quarters again.
- To assemble the salad lay the greens down on the platter or bowl. Place the rest of the salad ingredients on top. Then top with the quartered watermelon pieces. Finish with light drizzle of balsamic reduction.