Family summer post Canada Day BBQ this weekend. It was glorious weather and Philip’s brother had a BBQ planned for Saturday night. There’s not many days when all his brothers and sisters get together (there’s five of them) but this was one of those days. The weather was great, company great and good food. It was a regular BBQ in that most guests were eating hamburgers and sausage, so I made a great farrow and apple cranberry salad.
Philip’s brother has a nice big pool but it was still a little chilly in there, that didn’t seem to bother all the kids though! Here’s a great photo of the 3 brothers and 2 sisters, unfortunately all my family live in the UK.
Some people brought nice bean salads but I was glad that I’d prepared my own recipe before hand or I’d have gone hungry! This salad is a hearty filling salad because of the farro which is a nutty grain, so good. Farro is high in fiber and protein which makes it great for vegans.
- 4 cups cooked farro (1½ cups of uncooked farro)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 2 apples cored and diced
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Cook farro according to package instructions. I cooked the farro in my rice cooker, with 2½ cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Place all salad ingredients in a bowl and toss together. Pour dressing over salad and toss together. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.