Well it’s another cold morning here in Burlington Ontario frosty and freezing. Sometimes I get up and I think maybe it won’t be so cold today, yeah fat chance! it’s still cold out there. Anyway it’s Wednesday and I’m off to work today. I work a split shift, 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon with 30 crazy children who I do really enjoy being with.
Did a great spinning workout today. I like the gym I go to, its a small private gym called The Gym on Pearl. It’s a Family owned gym with a husband, wife and their 3 kids running it. It’s a nice story on how they’ve all struggled with weight loss being very heavy most of their life’s. Everyone is friendly and I never feel intimidated there.
It feels like one of those days where I need a warm bowl of soup. I love soups, my favorite being split pea soup. Today I’m trying a soup I’ve never had before which is curried carrot soup. This is a very thick and rich soup. I did add a little coconut milk to the top of my soup for a more creamy soup, but it really didn’t need it.
When buying carrots you should look for firm and crisp ones with smooth clear skins. If the tops are attached to the carrots the fronds should be brightly colored and feathery. Many of the nutrients found in carrots are stored just under the skin so it’s better not to peel them for this soup, just clean the carrots very well.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 6 large carrots washed and scrubbed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Coconut milk optional
- Cut carrots into ½ inch rounds.
- Heat oil in pan. Add onion and garlic cook till soft, 5mins.
- Add all spices. Cook for 1 min.
- Add carrots vegetable broth and water.
- Boil then reduce to medium low heat. Simmer stirring often until carrots are tender about 30 mins.
- Purée soup in batches.
- Return to pan to keep warm.
- Serve in bowl topped with a swirl of coconut milk if desired.