We are home safe and sound from our mini weekend camping adventure. It’s nice to get away from it all even if it’s just for a couple days. Although it was still quite chilly it was a nice weekend getaway. We really liked the Craigleith Provincial Park campground. Quiet, close to attractions and only 2 1/2 hours from our home. As we said yesterday we had a nice bulgur and grape salad for dinner.
The bulgur I prepared the night before we went camping so I wouldn’t have to do it during our trip, as it was being served cold in my salad. It sure did make things easier. Of course veggies are easy to make, just chop and eat! We both woke up rather early Sunday morning so decided just to pack up and leave. it was a rather chilly night again (down to around 2C) We just cuddled up in our blankets and made the most of it. We did have a nice campfire Sat night and watched the first episode of Hannibal season 3, rather confusing I must say. There we lots of people in tents to our surprise, boy they must have been chilly!
I love raw walnuts, but this recipe I decided to caramelize them in maple syrup which I purchased from the Collingwood organic market we visited yesterday. This really sweetened the walnuts and made it so delicious, like eating candy!
This salad has a dressing of just lime and chili powder, but I did serve mine with a bunch of greens and balsamic dressing. You can serve this salad on it’s own as an entree or serve it as a side dish. But I eat a lot of salads as entrees!
- 1 cup bulgur
- ½ English cucumber diced
- ½ large red onion diced
- 1 large Apple diced
- 2 cups red grapes halved
- 1 cup of walnut pieces
- 1½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Bring a pan of 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the bulgur to the water. Simmer for 5 minutes turn heat off and let bulgur absorb the water. It should be light and fluffy.
- Leave to cool.
- Heat a non stick skillet no oil. Toast walnuts in maple syrup until they caramelized about 4 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Mix together the lime juice and chili powder in small container.
- Mix cooled bulgur, cucumber, apples, grapes and onions in salad bowl.
- Add the lime mixture and toss.
- Add the maple walnuts.