Hi everyone it’s nice to be back home, even though we had a great time camping. Apparently we are coming into some hot weather highs of 35C so we decided to break down and put on the air conditioner on (which we hardly do) only to find out our furnace motor is broken, so no air for us until it can be repaired. I don’t mind the hot sticky weather, to me that’s what summer should be. Philip was off work today, which he likes to do after a camping vacation he says it makes the going back to work a little less horrible lol. We both got up early and did a workout at the gym since it’s air conditioned in there!
A couple of days ago I made some BBQ corn while camping, but today I wanted to use fresh corn in a salad but keep the corn raw in its sweet simple form, so I made this Black Bean and Mango Salad. It is sweet and spicy from the mangoes, corn and chipotle peppers which all combined give you a real fiesta in your mouth.
This recipe uses raw corn which is removed from the cob, if you wish to cook your corn you can do.
This is a great salad to take to a BBQ or picnic. Very simple and fast to make.
- 2½ cups cooked black beans
- 2 mangoes peeled and diced
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 4 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped.
- Remove husks and silks from corn. Take a knife and remove kernels from the cob. This salad is made with raw corn, if you wish to cook it that’s ok too. Place raw corn in a large salad bowl with beans, mango, onion and red pepper. Toss together. in a small bowl mix together lime juice, garlic, cilantro and chipotle peppers. Pour over salad and toss together. refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for flavors to mingle. Just before serving toss in diced avocado.