Wednesday, hump day. The middle of the week when you’re hoping the rest of the week will sail right on by. The weather is getting so much nicer now. We jogged in shorts and t-shirts today! The rest of the week looks promising too! At work I spent the whole day outside with my students. It’s so much better than being stuffed up inside a gymnasium, the kids love it too.
I leave for work at 6:20am every morning, often grabbing fruit for my breakfast on the go. Lately I’ve been waiting something a bit different and yummy too. That’s why I decided to make these awesome banana chocolate chip muffins. There’s nothing like chocolate for breakfast lol. They have fruit in them though!
These muffins are refined sugar free and oil free, I used maple syrup in place of the sugar and apple sauce in place of the oil. This leaves these muffins oh so moist and soft, they simply melt in your mouth. I think I’ve mentioned before that I love spelt flour when baking, it’s an ancient grain with a nutty flavor.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 ripe medium bananas mashed
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together the mashed banana, maple syrup, applesauce,vanilla extract,and milk whisking together until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add the chocolate chips stirring gently just until distributed evenly.
- Spoon batter into a greased or lined muffin pan ⅔ full and bake for about 20 minutes or until the muffins have risen and are firm and slightly golden browned.
- Makes 12 refined sugar-free and oil free muffins. Great for a snack or breakfast on the go.