If you read some of our older post you’ll know that Phil and I are renovating our bedroom in the basement. It is coming along slowly because of course we have full-time jobs, we have this blog and we also have two teenage boys in our lives. Therefore it is taking a little longer than we had thought.
My husband put in the ceiling of the bedroom and it looks great. He did a fantastic job so I thought I would make him a special treat for this evening after dinner. He loves apple pie and ice cream but with him not being vegan we usually go to the store and just buy an apple pie. You know these pies are filled with fat sugars, preservatives and all the stuff that’s not really good for you so I decided to make him a nice fresh vegan Apple crumble!
You can use a variety of apples for this recipe but I don’t recommend red delicious as these apples are softer and have a high water content and they go mushy when cooked.
I used a couple of Granny Smith and McIntosh apples.
- 6 apples sliced and peeled
- 1 tablespoon sucanat
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups oats
- ⅓ brown rice flour
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ Sucanat
- Topping: Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl. Mix together.
- Filling: Chop all the apples and mix together with the sugar, spices and lemon.
- Place all the apples into a baking dish. Then spoon out the topping mixture onto the apples. Transfer to the oven and bake for 35 minutes at 350F
Coat all apples with spices and lemon.