Made it to Friday yah! Friday turned into another rainy, stormy day which isn’t good for my bike riding duties. It was pouring so hard in the afternoon I literally couldn’t ride so a neighbor was nice enough to offer me a ride there. Philip works in Hamilton so really cannot take me. Other than that I had a pretty easy day at work, the kids were asking for smoothies again which is great since they are super healthy!
Keeping with the summer theme I decided to make another salad, which I’m sure is going to be a big theme through the summer months. We’ll have enough horrible cold, dark moths to prepare some hot recipes. Most people eat asparagus cooked, but I do like it raw and marinated. This marinade helps soften the asparagus if you leave it long enough. I added onions, cherry tomatoes some greens and then sliced up a delicious pear to top it all off.
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- ½ cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 pears thinly sliced
- 6 cups of greens
- Wash asparagus and trim ends. Peel away any dark skin. Place asparagus in a dish with the onion and tomatoes. In another bowl mix the other ingredients together and pour over the asparagus mixture. Tossing together. Put in fridge for a least 4 hours if possible the longer you leave more flavor the dish will be. Place on a bed of greens with the thin sliced pears. Pour left over marinade over the salad.